Golf & Health – PGAs, National Federations and the Golf Industry Briefing
As the health benefits of golf continue to play an increasingly important role both in and out of the sport, the Golf & Health Project is pleased to share a briefing document that can be used as a great starting point to provide some basis and backgrounds around these many benefits.
HEADLINES – THE BEST SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE SHOWS:
- Golf can provide health-enhancing levels of physical activity, – with golfers living longer, and enjoying comprehensive physical and mental health benefits.
- These benefits are available to persons of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities.
- All the World Health Organisation/ national governments key criteria for health enhancing physical activity can be met through playing golf- an important thing to highlight to local and national policy makers.
- Regular exercise, including golf is one of the best things you can do for your immune system, and golf lends itself to physical distancing and can be played safely.
SUGGESTED ATIONS FOR GOLF INDUSTRY AND FACILITY LEADERS:
- Spread the word for this safe and healthy sport- share the health benefits with golfers, potential golfers, industry colleagues, and policy makers.
- Promote inclusivity- encourage increased participation by developing environments and price structures that are welcoming to all, including beginners.
- Women and girls- inspire and recruit more women and girls to play.
- Maintain safety and sustainability-maintain policies and facilities that minimise risk from COVID-19 etc.
- Multi-functionality- encourage facilities in addition to golf.
WHERE CAN WE FIND OUT MORE?
- The Golf & Health website – golfandhealth.org
- The R&A Golf & Health Report: randa.org/en/news/2020/10/randa-golf-and-health-report-published
- Scientific papers:
- Twitter – @GolfAndHealth
- Facebook – @golfandhealth
- Contact details (Science):
- Dr Andrew Murray docandrewmurray[at]gmail.com
- Contact details (Communications):
- Aston Ward (Golf & Health Project) aw[at]cpg.golf
- Ed Hodge (The R&A) ed_hodge[at]outlook.com
The relationships between golf and health: a scoping review [Research Paper] 0.8MB 25 downloadsThe University of Edinburgh's 2016 Scoping Review on the health benefits of golf. Abstract Objective...
Infographics and digital resources: an international consensus on golf and health 12.00 KB 1 downloadsMurray AD, Barton CJ, Archibald D, et al Infographics and digital resources: an international...